nuts4knitting

Knitting (and spinning! The Good, the Bad, and the UGLY)

Saturday, January 25, 2003

I've been inspired. My birthday horoscope for August 14 once said that I should write. I've never kept a journal. I have taught writing classes for ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages). Maybe it's time for me to write a blog.

I've been following a few blogs for about a week. One of my favorites is Queerjoe@blogspot.com. I'm in no way an accomplished knitter like him. No way. I love reading blogs about knitting and other people's lives. I find others' opinions interesting.

I love to learn new things. I think that's what makes me a good teacher. I love the search and acquisition of knowledge (or useless info). My newest search for knowledge has been knitting. I grew up watching Mom cross stitch during her free time. I tried it--hated it. Then, Monica Ferris' books inspired me to learn how to knit.

I went home for Christmas 2001 and asked Mom to teach me. She pulled out a set of size 4 needles and a ball of pink sportweight yarn. She casted on 20 stitches and taught me how to knit and purl. At first, I felt like trying to snow ski again. Too-long apendages that just weren't working well (skiing--only once!). I soon got the hang of it, and I was off and going. Remember how I said I started with 20 stitches? I kept increasing until I reached 30 stitches (doh!). Mom would decrease me back down, but I dept going up. lol

By the time Christmas was over, I could knit, purl, cast on and cast off. I went and bought a Learn to Knit kit and went and bought some yarn of my own. Pink. Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home